Know all the key details of BMW i4, the upcoming premium electric car, expected to launch in India this year.
BMW launched its fully-electric iX SUV in India earlier this month. Now, the German carmaker is planning on introducing its new i4 models with the intention of being the electric sedans for the mainstream premium market. The brand intends to launch both variants of the model at the end of the second quarter of 2022.
With the latest fifth-generation eDrive technology, BMW intends to change everything about the way we drive full electric sedans by combining its hallmark excellence in engineering and impressive driving range.
BMW’s design philosophy for the i4’s exterior is a novelty on its own. Setting it apart from the traditional combustion engine vehicles of the brand is the fact that the sedan sports a grille, the tallest ever to be fitted on a BMW sedan. Still, both i4 variants come bearing some of the signature BMW elements such as the quad-hexagon daytime running lights and slender rear L-shaped LED lights. Also, the coupé-style roofline defines the sedan being a derivative of the BMW 4 Series.
The new displays inside make the vehicle stand out from its other siblings. The i4 comes with a 12.3-inch driver information display that has the largest touchscreen seen in any of the BMW’s vehicles. The touchscreen is a 14.9-inch high-resolution display.
Another point to note, the all-electric, 5-seater sedan comes with the latest iDrive OS 8 of BMW. Also, the i4 makes use of premium, eco-friendly upholstery for the interior, but buyers are offered with an option for leather too.
Handling, Performance and Efficiency
|BMW i4 eDrive40||BMW i4 M50|
|Engine, transmission, and aerodynamic features||All-electric 335-hp and 317 lb-ft of torque motor||Dual all-electric motors with a total power output of 536-hp and 586 lb-ft of torque|
|Handling, Ride and Braking||
|Wheels||18″ Gunmetal Grey Aero wheels, Style 854 with Performance Non-Run-flat Tires||18″ Gunmetal Grey Aero wheels, Style 854 with Performance Non-Run-flat Tires
19″ M Bi-Color Black Double Spoke Wheels, Style 861M with Performance Non-Run-flat Tires
|Steering Wheel||3-spoke leather-wrapped sport steering wheel||3-spoke telescopic, leather-wrapped, multi-function M sport steering wheel|
The electric sedan gets an 81 kWh high-voltage lithium-ion battery pack with an advanced active thermal management system that helps attain a WLTP certified range of up to 590 km. It also supports chargers ranging from 11kW to 205kW.
Technical Features in Both i4 eDrive40 and i4 M50:
Audio System Details:
- HiFi Sound System with 205-watt digital amplifier
- Sirius XM with 360L + 1 year Platinum Plan Subscription
- Wireless features, remote services, and intuitive technology.
- BMW ConnectedDrive Services
- BMW TeleServices
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatibility
- Connected Package Professional features: Real-Time Traffic Information and On-Street Parking Information (select regions), Hazard Preview, BMW Remote Services including Stolen Vehicle Recovery, Remote Door Unlock, and Concierge Services.
- The Intelligent Personal Assistant voice control offers natural speech input for various functions, including navigation.
- Remote Software Upgrade capable
Instrumentation and Controls:
- Live Cockpit Plus features BMW Curved Display: Configurable 12.3″ instrument cluster
- 9″ central information display
- The multi-input iDrive 8 system is operated by voice, touchscreen, and iDrive touchpad Controller.
- Navigation, Bluetooth, USB-C ports, and multiple Over-the-Air (OTA) updates for map data
- Dynamic Cruise Control
- Tire Pressure Monitor
- Rear-window defroster
Comfort and Convenience Features:
- Universal garage-door opener
- 40/20/40 split fold-down through-load rear seats
- 2-way power glass moonroof with “one-touch” operation and sliding interior sunshade
- Automatic-dimming interior rear-view mirror and driver’s-side exterior mirror
- Storage compartment package
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers with automatic headlight control
- Multi-zone Climate Control including micro-filter and automatic air recirculation
- Comfort Access keyless entry
- Automatic tailgate
Safety and Security Features:
- Automatic high beams
- LED Headlights
- Active Protection System detects imminent accidents, then prepares by automatically pre-tensioning safety belts, closing windows and moon roof, and activating post-crash braking; includes Fatigue and Focus Alert feature
- Active Driving Assistant, includes Frontal Collision Warning, Active Blind Spot Detection, Lane Departure Warning, and Speed Limit Info
- Active Guard with Frontal Collision Warning and Automatic City Collision Mitigation and Braking
- Anti-theft alarm system
- BMW Assist eCall includes Emergency Request (SOS button) and Enhanced Automatic Collision Notification
- Programmable LED Daytime Running Lights
- Rear-view Camera
- Mobility kit
- Park Distance Control, front and rear
The i4 models are currently priced starting at around 51,905 pounds in the UK. In India, post their expected launch in mid-2022, the i4 will be priced around Rs 80 Lakh or more.