Toyota is preparing to launch its new SUV shared with Maruti Suzuki which will be one of the two hybrid C-segment SUVs.
The new SUV is set to be unveiled on 1st July 2022. The C-segment hybrid with the codename D22 will be dubbed Toyota Hyryder.
The powertrain details of the Toyota Hyryder have been leaked ahead of its launch:
- Toyota Hyryder will be powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine.
- 2 versions of the engine will be on offer – a mild-hybrid and a strong hybrid version.
- The mild hybrid variant will get both Manual and Automatic transmission options.
- The strong hybrid variant will have an e-CVT like the one in Honda City Hybrid.
Toyota and Maruti Suzuki have been developing a hybrid SUV for the Indian market. Unlike the earlier rebadged Maruti Suzuki cars, Toyota will be launching this SUV, codenamed D22, as a sole Toyota model. However, Maruti Suzuki will be introducing its own hybrid SUV that shares much of its features with Toyota’s D22. Maruti’s hybrid has been codenamed YFG.
There have been sightings of the test mules of both Hyryder and the YFG in the last year. Finally, Toyota is ready to introduce Hyryder in the Indian market. The grand launch is scheduled for July 1.
Both Toyota Hyryder and Maruti Suzuki’s YFG will be manufactured at Toyota’s Bidadi plant in Karnataka. The powertrain spec of the Toyota Hyryder leaked before the official launch has revealed a lot of interesting details about the SUV.
Toyota Hyryder – Expected Powertrains & Drivetrains
Toyota Hyryder is expected to arrive with 2 engine options, a mild hybrid system and a powerful hybrid system.
- The mild hybrid system might get a 1.5-litre petrol engine that has a power output of 103 PS. It will also come with both FWD and AWD choices. Toyota Hyryder will be the only current model to offer AWD in its segment.
- Once launched, Toyota Hyryder will become the only compact hybrid SUV to offer an all-wheel-drive option in its segment since Renault Duster’s production ceased 2 years ago in 2020.
- The strong hybrid system will get electric motors (116 PS) and a bigger battery pack. This variant should only be offered with an FWD.
- Toyota Hyryder’s strong hybrid system will also come with a self-charging feature that makes it a more sustainable choice with a lower emission rate and greater fuel efficiency. It will also be priced accordingly. We can safely assume that the mild hybrid variant of Hyryder will also be the more affordable model.
Toyota Hyryder – Expected Transmission
Toyota Hyryder’s strong hybrid variant will not be coming out with the traditional gearbox. The Japanese carmaker is giving it an e-CVT transmission like the one in Honda’s City Hybrid.
Meanwhile, we can assume that the mild hybrid variant will be getting the 6-speed MT and AT setups.
Toyota Hyryder – Expected Features
The Hyryder will be built on a localised TNGA-B or DNGA platform. There has not been any official news about the exterior design of the SUV. However, from the mule’s test images, we can infer that the SUV will likely adopt some design features from Toyota’s more popular Corolla Cross.
A large grille at the front is bordered by dual headlights with LED daytime running lights. Road test models also sported an air dam on the front bumper. The air dam was designed in a honeycomb-patterned mesh.
With the design similarities to Corolla Cross, we can safely assume some similarities in the cabin and list of features as well. Toyota Hyryder can get the floating touchscreen on the dashboard that also functions as the infotainment system with connected car tech including Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
More expected features in the Toyota Hyryder are an instrument cluster, head-up display, 360-degree camera, automatic climate control, ventilated front seats, height-adjustable driver’s seat, etc.
Safety features can include 6 airbags, electronic stability control, ISOFIX, autonomous emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, blind-spot monitoring, cruise control, collision warning system, etc.
Launch Date: Expected on July 1, 2022
Hyryder Expected Price: Starting from Rs 10.5 Lakh (ex-showroom price)
Rivals to Toyota Hyryder
Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Skoda Kushaq, VW Taigun, MG Astor
Maruti Suzuki Version of the Hyryder
Toyota has been selling rebadged models of Maruti Suzuki in India successfully. There are very few models that are purely Toyota. With the launch of the Hilux pickup truck, Toyota has begun changing this situation. Hyryder will be a pure Toyota SUV in India after a long time. Although Maruti Suzuki has a hand in developing this hybrid SUV, this will be solely Toyota’s design. Maruti Suzuki will be announcing the launch of its SUV codenamed YFG later this year. YFG will share many features with the Hyryder like its platform, interior features, powertrain and transmissions. We can also expect some changes in it to keep it unique to Maruti Suzuki’s brand.
There will be more on both Hyryder and Maruti Suzuki’s version of the Hyryder soon. Keep following us for more interesting auto news.